Currnt is a new type of ‘knowledge-networking’ where passionate professionals exchange insights and recognition on innovative topics with diverse and equal caliber peers from around the world.
Known as the “The Fresh Knowledge Movement”, Currnt is a platform of 40,000+ thought-leaders that come together on sponsored panels and share their knowledge on specific topics. As a platform for professionals, they had to showcase people's passions to the public in a better way.
Users' profile is a visual representation of what drives them. In rapid change, their recent passions are as important as their resume.The site then needed to optimize the experience of the Currnt so that it represents what thought-leaders care about. While going over the audit of the site, there were a couple of open questions:
- How can we add social interactions to their profiles?
- How can canvas incorporate saved and suggest content, without the suggested content feeling like targeted-ads?
- How can users access to old content whenever they want?
Optimize the user experience of the profiles visualization and Expert Groups pages, keeping the notion that both must represent fresh ideas.
"It's really helpful to have someone who can take the time on getting the experience right." - Emmanuel Randon, CTO
Saved content were represented in bubbles following the notion that ideas expire so do bubbles. At the same time, the fresher the content, the bigger the circle, so the freshness of the content was represented by the size of the circle.
Some of the challenges with this concept:
1) From a user's perspective, the bubble's content was limited, faded color could break the readability of the white text on top and font size couldn't be readable when content was getting old.
2) Since content/ideas expired users won't be able to see content from a year ago.
3) Saved and recommended content were mixed and the recommended content was refreshed every time an user logs in so they have random stuff in every session.
1) After going back and forth with the CEO and CTO, we decided to remove the bubbles and represented the content as cards. Users won't have the font size nor readability problem anymore with this new concept. Moreover, freshness now is represented depending on the position the card has in the profile instead of the size of it.
2) Something users didn't have before was Expert Currnt: a page that collects posts from users and sponsored panels that have related tags. These can be found at the top of their profile.
3) As a new feature in the contend, we added a "pin" concept for user's to keep content that matters to them at top of their profiles so that they are always showing what they care about the most.
4) We also took care of social interaction.The cards show familiar faces: sponsored panels have participants, expert groups have curators, audience and a 'followed by you' row which tell them if there is anyone they know already following that topic. This is going to keep the engagement going.
This is a game changer for the company. We were not only evolving the content's representation but also the whole user experience. We wanted to represent the modern and innovative potential of what Currnt can be while honoring its ability to encourage thought-leaders to thrive.
See how they have described what's like working with me